Diesel Heavy Equipment Technician - Technical Diploma
Graduates of this technical diploma program are equipped to diagnose, service, and repair a variety of diesel powered equipment. Typical careers include construction equipment technician, engine technician, farm equipment technician, fuel injection technician, service technician, and truck driver/diesel technician. This program is accredited by The AED Foundation.
Your future runs on diesel.
Today's diesel mechanics work on high-tech farm and construction equipment as well as other complex vehicles and machines you might not expect – speedboats, airplanes, military trucks, self-driving tractors, and many more. Prepare for your future with this Diesel Heavy Equipment program!
Program Costs & Financial Aid
Tuition: $9,742, Books: $576, Supplies: $3,000
Follow Your Path
Some credits from this technical diploma apply toward the following associate degree(s):
Students completing this technical diploma may also earn the Diesel Equipment Technology associate degree (104121) after completing four additional courses.
8 Week Advantage: This is an 8 Week Advantage program.
How do I get started in this program?
Requirements for Program Entry
- Apply at www.nwtc.edu/apply.
- Submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: High school transcript (or GED/HSED transcript). College transcript.
- If your cumulative GPA is below 2.6, complete or submit a placement evaluation.
- Tip! Our admission advisors will assist you through every step. Have questions? Connect with NWTC Admissions at email@example.com or 920-498-5444.
What will I learn?
Students following the study plan below will complete the Diesel Heavy Equipment Technician technical diploma in the number of semesters shown.
- 10890101 - College 101 1
- 10412170 - Transportation Welding 1 1
- 10412125 - Transportation Service Operati 1
- 10412100 - Diesel Lab Operations 1
- 10412151 - Intro to Diesel Mechanics 2
- 10412153 - Intro to Electrical Systems 1
- 10412152 - Schematic Interpretation 2
- 10412171 - Transportation Welding 2 1
- 10412154 - Diesel Heavy Duty Electrical 1 2
Summer Before Third Semester
- Curriculum Note: The credit for 10-890-101, College 101, is an institutional Requirement for graduation. Consequently, it is not part of the program credit requirements, but must be passed with a C or better.
- Apply hydraulic systems fundamentals.
- Manage chassis, steering, and suspension systems.
- Explain diesel engine systems.
- Explain diesel engine service fundamentals.
- Describe the mechanics of track drive systems.
- Perform required preventative maintenance.
- Use welding and machine tools.
- Maintain brake systems.
- Analyze electronic/electrical systems.
- Manage heating - AC systems.
- Interpret schematic drawings.
- Comprehend power train systems.
- Diagnose engine systems.
- Service vehicle systems.
What careers are in my future?
Construction Equipment Technician: diagnoses, services, and repairs a variety of construction equipment such as track type tractors, wheel loaders, and back hoe loaders.
- Engine Technician: diagnoses and repairs diesel engines.
- Farm Equipment Technician: diagnoses, services, and repairs a variety of diesel-powered agricultural equipment.
- Fuel Injection Technician: diagnoses, services, and repairs fuel injection systems.
- Service Technician: performs preventive maintenance and regularly scheduled maintenance on equipment to keep it in service.
- Truck Driver/Diesel Technician: owns or operates a small fleet and wants to perform his/her own regular and preventive maintenance.
What else do I need to know about the program?
Study Abroad Opportunities
The International Programs staff continually seeks opportunities for students to travel abroad for educational experiences that may be offered in association with program courses. To find out more about which of your program courses may offer an opportunity during this academic year, contact your academic advisor or visit nwtc.edu/studyabroad.
Defy expectations and follow your passion
Dream jobs have nothing to do with gender. Discover the benefits of nontraditional occupations.