You want a top-paying career that matches your interests and motivates you. Good thing dream jobs have nothing to do with gender.
Nontraditional occupations can lead to amazing futures.
A nontraditional occupation is a career field in which one gender makes up 25% or less of the workforce nationally – for example: women in engineering or men in dental hygiene.
When you explore an NTO, you are crushing stereotypes and opening yourself up to diverse career opportunities.
NTO benefits may include:
- Higher earning and increased employment potential.
- Increased advancement opportunities.
- Greater job satisfaction.
Lean into your interests
At NWTC, you can match your strengths and interests to a future career – regardless of your gender. Maybe you’re a male who imagines becoming a nurse or a female who grew up working on cars.
No matter what you love to do or who you are, we can provide you with the knowledge and skills to turn your passion into a career.
Soaring higher together
When you choose a nontraditional career path, you will have support throughout your NWTC experience.
- Scholarship resources.
- Campus events.
- Connection to Career Services for resume writing, cover letter help, and job search
Nursing Associate Degree grad
I chose NWTC because of its affordability, flexibility, and ease to obtain my degree. I was able to take my pre-requisite class, Intro to Biochemistry, to get into the nursing program while still in high school. I was fully accepted to the nursing pr...
Machine Tool-CNC Technician
Hanna Gilbertson has big plans for her future. Following in the footsteps of her father and grandfather, Gilbertson is pursuing her passion for metal working. She is a student in the Machine Tool-CNC Technician technical diploma program on the Marine...
'I wish I would have done this sooner' Paul Koenig, a student in the Medical Assistant program, talks about his experience as an NWTC student: What inspired you to enroll at NWTC? I had always thought about becoming a Medical Assistant, but t...
Examples of non-traditional programs for women:
- Apprenticeships in construction and industrial occupations
- Automotive Technician and Technology
- Auto Collision Repair and Refinishing Technician
- Architectural Technology
- Criminal Justice– Law Enforcement and Corrections
- Network Specialist-IT
- Computer Support Specialist-IT
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
- Landscape Horticulture
- Diesel Equipment Technology and Diesel and Heavy Equipment Technician
- Prototype and Design
- Manufacturing Engineering Technology
- Machine Tool Operation
Examples of non-traditional programs for men:
- Nursing (All programs)
- Administrative Professional
- Medical Assistant
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Dental Assistant and Dental Hygienist
- Health Information Technology
- Early Childhood Education
- Surgical Technician
- Clinical Laboratory Technician