Software Developer - Associate Degree
This two-year program prepares its learners to design, develop and test business application software using various leading programming languages. Graduates will be proficient in HTML, C#, Java, PHP, ASP.NET, and SQL along with various supporting technologies in networking, database development, documentation, and system analysis and design. Graduates will be prepared to support the software development needs of businesses in a wide variety of industries. Training blends general education development with required IT technical skills. All courses are offered in an in-person format, and some are also offered online for additional flexibility.
- Online: Some online courses may be delivered at specific times each week.
How do I get started in this program?
Requirements for Program Entry
- Apply at www.nwtc.edu/apply
- Submit high school, GED, or HSED transcripts and college transcripts (if applicable) to email@example.com
- Tip! Our admission advisors will assist you through every step. Have questions? Connect with NWTC Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-498-5444.
What are my courses?
Students following the study plan below will complete the Software Developer Associate Degree in the number of semesters shown.
8 Week 1
8 Week 2
8 Week 1
8 Week 1
- Curriculum Note: The credit for 10-890-101, College 101 is an Institutional Requirement for graduation. Consequently, it is not part of the program requirements, but must be passed with a C.
- Design software systems
- Integrate database technology
- Develop software applications
- Develop technical documentation
What careers are in my future?
with 71% in field
Source: NWTC Graduate Outcome Survey
A graduate of this program will have the potential for employment in the following areas:
- Programmer: Create, modify, and test the code, forms, and script that allow computer applications to run. Work from specifications drawn up by software developers or other individuals. May assist software developers by analyzing user needs and designing software solutions. May develop and write computer programs to store, locate, and retrieve specific documents, data, and information.
- Software Developer: Develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. Analyze user needs and develop software solutions. Design software or customize software for client use with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency. May analyze and design databases within an application area, working individually or coordinating database development as part of a team. May supervise computer programmers.
Employment opportunities with additional education
- Systems Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Software Architect
- Software Consultant/Trainer
- Industry Certifications such as, Microsoft Specialist Programming C#, Microsoft Technology Associate, Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 7 Programmer
What's next after graduation?
Start here. Finish at a four-year.
NWTC transfer programs are offered through collaborative agreements with our four-year college and university partners. See where your associate degree credits will transfer.
What else do I need to know about the program?
With additional education students may obtain industry certifications such as Microsoft Specialist Programming C#, Microsoft Technology Associate, Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 7 Programmer.
Study Abroad Opportunities
The International Programs staff continually seeks opportunities for students to travel abroad for educational experiences that may be offered in association with program courses.
Classes wherever you have an internet connection.
- An in-person career experience, such as an internship, practicum, or credit for prior learning, may be required.
- Some online courses may be held at specific dates/times.
- Classes between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Classes between the hours of 5:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
- A combination of online classes and Saturday and/or Sunday classes.
- 12 or more credits per term.
- Fewer than 12 credits per term.