Access SNAP Benefits
Access Child Support Statement
IRS Retrieval Data
Starting in 2012-2013, the types of documents a student is required to submit will vary depending on the information on the FAFSA. If students and parents of dependent students utilize the IRS Data Retrieval tool while completing the FAFSA, this could reduce the number of documents required. Beginning February 1, this tool transfers tax data directly from the IRS. In general, it takes approximately 2 weeks for electronically filed tax information to be available or 6-8 weeks for a paper tax return to be available.
Here's how it works:
- If you indicate the federal tax return has already been completed, an information box will ask if certain situations apply. These situations are used to determine eligibility for the IRS Data Retrieval.
- If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval, you will be asked your PIN and you must click Link to IRS.
- The IRS will ask a series of questions to verify you are the taxpayer.
- Once you have verified your identity and the tax information is available, you must click Transfer Now for the data to populate the FAFSA. If you make any changes to this data, the Financial Aid Office may require you submit a tax transcript.
- If the IRS Data Retrieval is unavailable during the initial filing of the FAFSA, you can update this information at a later date