A grant is "free" money that can help you pay for your education. Grants usually have a financial component that must be met in order to qualify for them, and can be awarded by the federal government, colleges, or even private institutions. Grants usually do not need to  be paid back and instead are offered as a "gift" to the student to assist in paying for their education.  Grants differ from scholarships in that they are open to everyone and are awarded based on your financial aid need, where scholarships are awarded based on very specific criteria.

Federal Pell Grant Program

The Federal Pell Grant program gives a base of aid to which all other types of aid are added. Pell Grants are based on financial need and are prorated according to your enrollment status. Year-round Pell will be available to eligible students. This change to the Federal Pell Grant Program allows eligible students to receive up to 150 percent of a regular Federal Pell Grant Award over the course of the academic year (Fall, Spring, Summer). To be eligible to receive the additional Pell Grant funds, the student must be otherwise eligible to receive Pell Grant funds for the payment period and must be enrolled at least half-time.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This grant is for students who have a large financial need. The college has a limited amount of these funds and distributes them on a first-come, first-serve basis. You must be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant Program in order to receive a FSEOG.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grant (BIA)

Native American students (with at least 1/4 Indian lineage) enrolled full-time may receive aid from the Bureau of Indian Affairs. To be considered for this grant, you must contact your Tribal Education Office for an Indian Scholarship Application.

Wisconsin Grant

To receive the Wisconsin Grant you must be a Wisconsin resident attending a Wisconsin College at least half-time who hasn't already earned a Bachelor's degree. This is a need based grant.

Wisconsin Hearing & Visually Handicapped Student Grant

Visually handicapped or hearing impaired Wisconsin residents may qualify for a Grant for Handicapped Persons. These grants are run by the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board and are based on financial need. To be considered for this grant, you must contact the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board in Madison, WI at (608) 266-0888.

Wisconsin Indian Student Assistance Grant (WIAG)

This grant is for Native American students who are Wisconsin residents attending a Wisconsin college. To be considered for this grant, students must complete an Indian Scholarship Application with their Tribal Education Office.

Children of Fallen Heroes

The Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship is offered to a student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer.  If you are eligible, you may receive an increased amount of federal financial aid under the program.

Eligibility is based on the following:

  • You are Pell Grant eligible
  • You were less than 24 years old when your parent or guardian died; or
  • You were enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of a parent or guardian’s death.

For consideration of this scholarship, you must contact the Financial Aid Office at and provide any required documentation requested.  The Financial Aid Office will determine, based on documentation submitted, whether or not you meet the eligibility criteria.

EARN (Educating Aspiring Registered Nurses)

The EARN (Educating Aspiring Registered Nurses) grant program is dedicated to increasing diversity in nursing in Northeast Wisconsin.  

Students who participate in the EARN program will receive academic, career, and financial support while they progress through the Nursing-Associate Degree program at NWTC. 

Learn more and apply »

Apply for a Grant

To apply for grant funds the first step is to apply for Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA. The NWTC Financial Aid office personnel are here to help you with the process.

How to Apply