How to Apply
To be considered for federal and state financial aid - including grants, loans, and work study - you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Tip! Before you apply, you should know the following:
- Complete the FAFSA at www.studentaid.gov
- NWTC’s School Code is 005301.
Application is available October 1 of each year for the next academic year (Example: FAFSA 2023-24 application is available October 1, 2022).
FAFSA 2024-25 will be available mid-December 2023 due to the FAFSA Simplification. Find out more here.
- You will report income and tax information from two years prior (Example: 2024-25 FAFSA will use 2022 tax information).
- Complete your FAFSA early and submit all requested documentation in a timely manner.
- The Financial Aid Office will begin processing FAFSA Applications in early Spring. Students will receive communication via their student email if/when the school receives their FAFSA Application.
- Financial aid offers will be available for eligible students in early June. Students will receive communication via their student email when they have a financial aid offer.
A completed aid application does not guarantee that all aid programs will be offered to you.
To be eligible for financial aid, you need to be accepted into a degree program.
Is this your first time filing a FAFSA?
Step 1: Set up your FSA (Federal Student Aid) ID
The FSA ID is a username and password must be used to log into secure Department of Education websites.
Students and parents should each apply for an ID and password before filing the FAFSA.
After You Submit Your FAFSA
- Once you submit the FAFSA, you will receive an email confirmation from the Department of Education.
- Your FAFSA will be sent electronically to the NWTC Financial Aid Office.
- You will receive an email confirmation that the NWTC Financial Aid Office has received your FAFSA. (Important: You will only receive this confirmation if you are an accepted program student at NWTC.)
If no other documentation is requested, you will be notified by email about your financial aid offer. This process can take 1-2 weeks.
If you receive an email confirmation stating that your FAFSA has been rejected, contact the NWTC Financial Aid Office.
Your FAFSA may be selected for verification by the Department of Education. About 30% of applications are selected for verification. Learn more about FAFSA Verification.