Skip to content

FAFSA Verification

Home » Admissions and Aid » Financial Aid » How to Apply » FAFSA Verification

Verification is the process your school uses to confirm that the data reported on your FAFSA form is accurate. If you’re selected for verification, NWTC will request additional documentation that supports the information you reported. All requested documents will be listed on your Financial Aid To-Do list in the student portal.

If the Financial Aid Office is requesting tax information, then the following resources may be helpful to you:

Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool

If students and parents of dependent students utilize the IRS Data Retrieval tool while completing the FAFSA, this could reduce the number of documents required as this tool transfers tax data directly from the IRS. Individuals who owe the IRS and have not paid may experience a delay in obtaining tax data.

Here's how it works:

  • If you indicate the federal tax return has already been completed, an information box will ask if certain situations apply. These situations are used to determine eligibility for the IRS Data Retrieval.
  • If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval, you will be asked your FSA ID and Password and then you must click Link to IRS.
  • The IRS will ask a series of questions to verify you are the taxpayer.
  • Once you have verified your identity and the tax information is available, you must click Transfer Now for the data to populate the FAFSA. If you make any changes to this data, the Financial Aid Office may require you submit a tax transcript.

If the IRS Data Retrieval is unavailable during the initial filing of the FAFSA, you can update this information at a later date.

How to Request Tax Return Transcripts or a Non-Filing Letter

The Financial Aid Office must collect tax return transcripts for anyone selected for verification who did not use the IRS Data Retrieval or if the data from the IRS was updated after it was transferred. The IRS will provide a tax return transcript free for any tax filer. 

Please refer to this Guide  on how to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript, and this Guide on how to request an IRS Verification of Non-Filing.

What if I file an Amended Tax Return?

You will need to submit the following items:

  • A signed copy of the original tax return that was filed with the IRS AND a signed copy of the IRS form 1040X that was filed with the IRS


  • If you cannot provide both of the above forms, then an IRS "Record of Account Transcript" is an acceptable alternative.