Caregiver Background Check
Caregiver background check includes the review of criminal records for convictions of serious crimes or a history of improper behavior. Students enrolled in the following programs at NWTC must complete a background check via the DCF Child Care Provider Portal:
Early Childhood Associate Degree Program
Early Childhood Assistant Teacher Technical Diploma
Follow these steps to initiate the background check process:
- Click here to create an account in the iChildCare portal to begin the background check process: https://dcf.wisconsin.gov/childcare/ichildcare/portalinfo
- Select “iChildCare Portal” and follow the prompts to create an account.
- Fill out the request form and send it to Stacey Felton via email firstname.lastname@example.org, fax it to 920-491-2660, or mail to: NWTC, Attn: Stacey Felton, HS310, 2740 West Mason Street, Green Bay, WI 54303.
- Stacey will then enter your information from the request form into the portal and provide you with the codes required to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- You are responsible for paying to have the fingerprinting completed.
Once you have completed the fingerprinting requirement, send the results to Stacey Felton. This must be completed prior to acceptance into the program so you can be placed at a practicum site.
If you are already working in the center and have completed the background check, to include fingerprinting, please fill out the request form
and send it to Stacey Felton (via one of the methods listed above). Stacey will then enter your basic information into the portal. If you have completed the necessary background check process, your information should populate to show that you are eligible to work in a child care center.
Questions about this process? Email or call Stacey Felton (email@example.com or 920-498-6255).
Child Care Health Report
Health Report is mandatory for all caregivers in the state of Wisconsin.
Functional Ability Checklist
New program students must complete this functional ability checklist prior to beginning their program and practicum student teaching experiences. Use the following form and submit it for consideration by the Early Childhood Team at Northeast Wisconsin Technical College.
Students are required to wear a program polo to represent NWTC when working at your practicum center. Sample shirts are available in the lab for sizing purposes. Click here: https://nwtc.mybrightsites.com/products?s%5Bf%5D%5Bc%5D%5B%5D=%2FEducation to order your shirt. (Please note that these shirts tend to run small. If you typically wear a medium, you may want to order a large.)
When placing your order, please select from one of the following:
If you are not able to pick up your shirt at either NWTC or The Elite Group, you must select Standard Ground Shipping and pay for the shipping cost.
- Free shipping to NWTC in Green Bay (code will be provided to you for a limited time at the start of the semester). This is only for students taking in-person classes in Green Bay or that live near Green Bay Campus or one of the Campuses/Regional Learning Centers (Marinette, Sturgeon Bay, Aurora, Crivitz, Luxemburg, Oconto Falls, or Shawano) and are able to pick up their shirt.
- Pick up order at The Elite Group in De Pere (you will be notified when your order is ready for pick up).
- Standard Ground Shipping (distance students; not near an NWTC site).
Student Photo ID
Students are required to wear a photo ID to represent NWTC when working at your practicum center. You can get one in the Student Involvement Office (SC118) and there is no charge. Please bring a state issued photo ID and know your student ID.
The Early Childhood Education program handbook can be found by clicking here.
(920) 498-6255 or (800) 422-NWTC, Ext. 6255
(920) 498-5410 or (800) 422-NWTC, Ext. 5410