Disability Services FAQs

How do I get accommodations?

  • Set up an appointment to see one of the case managers in Disability Services.
  • It is important that you bring documentation regarding your disability and how the disability affects your ability to learn.
  • During this appointment, you and the case manager will discuss your education plans, your disability, as well as any successes or problems you may have experienced in previous educational settings.

 What do you mean by documentation?

Documentation used for disability services must:

  1. Be drafted by a licensed professional who is familiar with your history and a description of the functional limitations of the disability (Reports submitted as verification of a disability must be on letterhead, dated and signed. Testing or assessment results must be submitted as well).
  2. Provide findings that support the diagnosis (history, tests administered, test results, and interpretation of the results).
  3. Provide specific recommendations for accommodations including an   explanation as to why the accommodations are needed.
  4. Provide documentation of history of prior accommodations provided by schools or other service providers.
  • NWTC does not provide diagnostic testing; however, staff may assist you in locating qualified professionals in the area. There may be costs associated with this testing. Costs may vary by providers and you will be responsible for paying these costs.
  • Disability documentation must generally be less than three (3) years old to be considered current and valid. All accommodation requests are reviewed on a case by case basis.


What kinds of accommodations are available for me?

  • Accommodations
  • Please note: all accommodations are provided on an individualized basis and tailored to you and your specific situation.
  • These accommodations do not guarantee your success.
  • Accommodations provided by NWTC and the Disability Services are designed to “level the playing field” by giving all students the same opportunity to succeed at NWTC.

Do I automatically get all the accommodations I want?

  • No.  Your accommodations will be determined by the documentation you provided.  The case manager will discuss with you the accommodations available for you.

Are there any fees for the services/accommodations provided by the Disability Services?

  • These services are provided at no cost to you; however, you must provide an acceptable documentation in order to receive the services/accommodations.

Do I have to request my accommodations every semester?

  • Yes.  Please stop by, call, or email the Disability Services or one of the case managers before the start of each semester that you would like accommodations for your classes.


How are college accommodations different from the ones I had in high school? 

K-12 System

  • Parents have access to student records and can participate in the accommodation process.
  • Parents advocates for student.
  • Student is identified by the school and accommodations are provided for the time the student is enrolled.
  • The school will provide evaluations with no cost to the student.
  • IEP or 504 Plan may include changes to the format of the test (ex: multiple choice test instead of essay test), may allow the use of notes on a test, and/or changes to the grading scale.
  • Teachers may change the curriculum and/or alter the due dates of assignments.
  • Tests may be more frequent and include smaller chunks of material.
  • Make up tests are often available if the student does not do well the first time.
  • Teachers will often approach the student if they feel the student needs help.
  • Teachers will often take additional time to remind the student of assignments, tests and due dates.
  • Tutoring and study support may be a service provided as part of an IEP or 504 Plan.


  • Parent does not have access to student records without the student's written approval.
  • Student must self-advocate and must self-identify to the disability services office.
  • The student must check in every semester with the disability services office in order to receive accommodations.
  • Student must provide the disability services office with documentation from a licensed professional; the documentation should include: current evaluations with diagnosis and specific functional limitations that will impact learning.
  • The use of notes on a test, grading scale changes and test format changes for all tests are not accommodations given in college; students may request: additional time and/or a reduced distraction environment, alternative format (enlarged print, audio, etc.), adaptive technology, scribe.
  • Instructors are not required to change instruction or assignment due dates.
  • Testing is usually infrequent, may be cumulative and include larger amounts of material.
  • Make up tests are seldom an option if a student does poorly on a test.
  • Instructors are usually approachable and helpful, but they expect the student to ask for help if they don't understand a concept.
  • Instructors expect the student to read, save and check the course syllabus for due dates.
  • Tutoring is NOT an accommodation provided by the disability services office.  It is available to ALL students requesting additional help.

If I am not taking classes yet but need accommodations for my entrance tests, how do I do that?

  • You can get accommodations for the entrance tests such as Accuplacer and TABE.
  • You will need to meet with one of the case managers and provide an acceptable documentation.

I need accommodations for my GED or HSED tests, who do I contact?

I need a copy of my documentation, how long will you keep my file for?

  • The Disability Services will keep a copy of your documentation for 5-7 years.
  • We are moving to a paperless format which means that we will have an electronic copy of your documentation in our system and will no longer keep the paper version.

Is all my information confidential? Who will you tell about my disability?

  • All records maintained by the NWTC and the Disability Services are handled in a confidential manner as required by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).
  • Information regarding disability, diagnosis and/or treatment is kept separate from your student records. Specific information regarding enrollment, attendance, grades, academic progress or lack thereof, concerns, etc. cannot be shared with parents, family members, agencies, etc. unless you have signed a release of information form.

Will my instructors know about my disabilities?

  • No.  The  Disability Services only inform instructors of the student's accommodations and will not enclose or discuss any of the student's disabilities with instructors.

If I think that I have a disability but I have never seen by a counselor, who should I contact or what should I do?

  • If you think that you have a disability but have never seen a counselor, you can set up an appointment to see one of the counselors in the Student Counseling Services.

What do I do if I am not being treated fairly?

  • We encourage you to come speak with the Disability Services Manager or one of the case managers.


If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at:       
(920) 498-6904 or