Advanced EMT (AEMT) - Technical Diploma
Advanced EMT students are Wisconsin licensed EMTs seeking to upgrade their skills to the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician level. These skills are performed and compliant with the Wisconsin scope of practice. A graduate of this technical diploma program has the potential for employment as an advanced EMT technician, performing pre-hospital patient care for the ill and injured with a Wisconsin ambulance service licensed to provide EMT advanced level care. Ambulance services in Wisconsin are volunteer, private, fire-based, or hospital-based. This program is nationally accredited through the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for EMS Professionals under the auspices of the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.
Program Costs & Financial Aid
Tuition: $1,245, Books: $156, Supplies: $0
How do I get started in this program?
Requirements for Program Entry
- Current Wisconsin EMT license. Must be 18 years or older to enter training
- Valid Wisconsin EMT license
- Students are required to maintain a current AHA Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider certification on a two-year renewal cycle to comply with affiliating agency requirements
- Proof of current health status and immunizations
- NWTC is required to comply with the Wisconsin Caregiver Law
- Aptitudes required for work of this nature are good physical stamina, endurance, and body condition that would not be adversely affected by frequently having to walk, stand, lift, carry, and balance at times, in excess of 125 pounds
What will I learn?
Students following the study plan below will complete the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician technical diploma in the number of semesters shown.
- Curriculum Note: Students must earn a "C" or higher in course 30-531-303. A student who withdraws or receives a grade lower than a "C" in a program course may apply for re-entry into the program
- Successful program completion prepares and entitles the student to take the state license examination. A graduate is licensed only after successful completion of the licensing examination and application for a state license
- Apply the preparatory aspects of Advanced Emergency Medical Technician care
- Perform intravenous therapy
- Perform clinical skill competencies
- Demonstrate usage of basic pharmacological principles
- Manage cardiac, diabetic and narcotic overdose cases using medications
What careers are in my future?
A graduate with an Advanced Emergency Medical Technician technical diploma will have the potential for employment as an Advanced EMT with a Wisconsin ambulance service licensed to provide Advanced Emergency Medical Technician level care. Ambulance services in Wisconsin are volunteer, private, fire-based or hospital-based
What else do I need to know about the program?
Students who complete the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician program have the opportunity to become certified by the NREMT to achieve eligibility for EMS licensure by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services EMS Section
Wisconsin Caregiver Law
NWTC is required to comply with the Wisconsin Caregiver Law (1997 WISCONSIN ACT 27). The completion of a caregiver background check includes the review of criminal records for convictions of serious crimes or a history of improper behavior. Students accepted into this program must complete a background check through www.castlebranch.com AND complete a Background Information Disclosure (BID) form disclosing any acts, crimes, or convictions prior to program entry. The information provided in the BID form must be truthful and match any findings on the criminal record check. Information regarding this process is provided to students immediately upon acceptance into the program. Students with a criminal history may be denied access to placement at the discretion of the clinical or practicum site. Consequently, should a student have a history of convictions of serious crimes or a history of improper behaviors, NWTC cannot guarantee clinical/practicum placement or guarantee graduation within typical program timing.
Defy expectations and follow your passion
Dream jobs have nothing to do with gender. Discover the benefits of nontraditional occupations.