NWTC provides an e-mail system for the use of the students of NWTC in their College related activities. Any messages transmitted via the NWTC e-mail system are subject to all requirements and regulations regarding privacy of College records, records retention, open records and all other requirements of College documents. Students using the system are subject to all NWTC policies. (See policies in Student Handbook.)
Any person who uses the NWTC e-mail system consents to all of the provisions of this policy and agrees to comply with the entire policy and with all applicable state, federal and international laws and regulations.
All NWTC students are to use their NWTC e-mail address and the NWTC e-mail system for all College email communication.
This includes but is not limited to the transmission of
- Instructor / student communication
- Room and Time Changes
- Student Schedule
- Communication with Enrollment Services
- Admissions letters
- Petition to Graduate information
- Financial Aid
- Communication with Counselors
- Communication with Bursars Office
- Book voucher information
- Payment plan information
- Student Life Events
QUALIFICATIONS FOR STUDENT E-MAIL
Every student registered for a class at NWTC will receive an e-mail account. You will receive notification of you username and default password upon your successful registration.
- Username: 8 digit Student ID number
- Password: Entered during online registration or application.
- Student e-mail addresses are usually email@example.com
- Contact Enrollment Services at (800) 422-NWTC x5444 to request a name (email address) change.
For any questions regarding your e-mail or username and password, please contact the Student Help Desk toll-free at 866-235-5037.
DELETION OF INACTIVE E-MAIL ACCOUNTS
If a student is not registered for a class for 12 months the account will be deleted.
- Students can access e-mail through the Student Portal (my.NWTC), student e-mail link on the NWTC homepage, or directly via the website
- Students are expected to check their e-mail on a frequent and consistent basis in order to stay current with College-related communications.
- Redirecting personal e-mail into your NWTC Gmail account is fine. Redirecting your NWTC Gmail to other accounts may not be secure or reliable, and is not advised.
- Anything sent to “Trash” will be automatically deleted within 30 days.
- Student’s addresses will not be published to the student body
- Anti-spam and anti-virus filtering will used with the system to eliminate junk mail.
- Gmail allows large attachments; however, instructor accounts have a file size limit. Students who send large files are responsible for checking to be sure the material arrived safely.
MY.NWTC ALSO WILL BE USED FOR VITAL COLLEGE COMMUNICATION
Important information about financial aid, registration, student academic progress and more will be communicated through the My.NWTC Student Portal. It is the student's responsibility to check the system regularly. To access it:
- Go to www.nwtc.edu
- Click on the my.NWTC link at the bottom of any web page
PENALTIES FOR VIOLATING COLLEGE POLICIES
Violators of College policies are subject to disciplinary action, up to and including suspension. The Student may appeal actions according to the student handbook.
ELECTRONIC MAIL POLICY
- The College does not promise or guarantee an individual’s right to privacy or confidentiality of information stored in the electronic mail system.
- The College reserves the right and will occasionally monitor the content of e-mail residing within the system.
- Use of electronic mail to violate the NWTC Information Systems Acceptable Use Policy or any College policy is prohibited.
- Any use of electronic mail that does not respect the image and reputation of the College is prohibited.
- The user bears sole responsibility for all transmissions using their assigned e-mail address.
- Concealment or misrepresentation of names, addresses, or affiliations in electronic mail is prohibited. It is a violation of the NWTC acceptable use policy for any user of official e-mail addresses to impersonate a college office or faculty / staff member.
- You may not use the College’s electronic mail system for any commercial use.
- The College reserves the right to block mass e-mail transmissions.
- You may not use the College’s electronic mail system for purposes that are threatening, offensive, or for purposes of harassment. Examples of harassment are included as part of this policy.
- Electronic mail is part of the business record of the College and may be audited or reviewed during discovery in litigation and freedom of information requests.
VIEWING OR DISTRIBUTING OBSCENE OR PORNOGRAPHIC MATERIALS
You may not access, download, store, or transmit obscene materials through the College’s Information System or by means of the College electronic mail system.
ACCEPTANCE OF PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY
- The user is solely responsible for all materials viewed, stored, or transmitted with the College electronic mail system. NWTC requires that users comply with all College rules and state and federal laws related to records retention and confidentiality of information. Failure to do so may result in suspension or revocation of a user’s access privileges or other disciplinary measures, including the possibility of civil and/or criminal liability.
- Any user of the College electronic mail system who violates this policy will be subject to disciplinary action. Further, inappropriate use, whether intentional or not, may result in civil and/or criminal liability, and/or a violation of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, Health Insurance Privacy and Protection Act, Wisconsin wiretap and/or privacy laws, defamation, copyright and/or trademark infringement laws, sexual harassment an discrimination laws and/or other applicable federal or state laws and regulations.
- All systems, hardware, software, and data are the property of NWTC and subject to audit by the College and other legal authorities.
- NWTC may, at its own discretion, examine, move, or delete files, including electronic mail, for purposes of system maintenance if the files are determined to be intentionally or unintentionally disruptive to the system or system users.
- The College makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the reliability or integrity of the Information Services it is providing.
- The College will not be responsible for any damages suffered while using the College Information Systems, including loss of personal data due to system outages or operational errors.
- NWTC is not responsible for offensive or objectionable materials that a user has obtained with the College Information System.
EXAMPLES OF HARASSMENT, LIBEL, SLANDER
No member of the NWTC community may use the NWTC electronic mail system to libel, slander, or harass any other person.
The following are examples of harassment:
- Using the computer to annoy, harass, terrify, intimidate, threaten, offend or bother another person by conveying obscene language, pictures, or other materials, or threats of bodily harm to the recipient or recipient’s family;
- Using the computer to contact another person repeatedly with the intent to annoy, harass or bother, whether or not any actual message is communicated, and/or where no purpose of legitimate communication exists, and where the recipient has expressed a desire for the communication to cease;
- Using the computer to contact another person repeatedly regarding a matter for which one does not have the legal right to communicate, once the recipient has proved reasonable notice that he or she desires such communication to cease;
- Using the computer to disrupt or damage the academic research, administrative, or other pursuits of another;
- Using the computer to invade the privacy, academic or otherwise, of another or to threaten invasion of privacy of another.