How to Finance Your Study Abroad

Home » Student Experience » Study Abroad » How to Finance Your Study Abroad

Over 90% of NWTC students who study abroad receive a scholarship or grant!

Ways to Fund Your International Studies

Use our Payment Plan

  • Every NWTC study abroad student has the option to use our payment plan that stretches out the program cost over the course of 3 months.
  • Students are notified if they've received a scholarship or grant before the first payment is due, and funds can be applied in later payments.
  • Payment deadlines and amounts are program specific, and can be found on individual program flyers.
  • Payments can be made by stopping by or calling (920-498-5483) Student Involvement, SC118. We accept checks (made out to NWTC), cash, Visa, MasterCard and Discover.

Apply to our Study Abroad Grant

  • Awards are typically between $300 - $800. Underrepresented students can be awarded up to $1,000.
  • Grant Applications are due the same date as the study abroad application deadline.
  • Even if you are not FAFSA eligible, you can still apply.
Study Abroad Grant Application

Use your FAFSA

  • Your FAFSA Loans can be used for a study abroad program!
  • Pell grant recipients can also use any remaining funds to help pay for study abroad.
  • Talk to a Financial Aid Advisor by visiting the Welcome Center, SC240 or calling 920-498-5444.

Apply to NWTC Foundation Scholarships

  • Awards are anywhere from $500 - $2,000.
  • Apply by logging into your my.NWTC, click "Finances", and then "Apply for a Scholarship".
  • Deadlines are April 30th and November 5th.

Apply to the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship

  • Students can be awarded up to $3,000
  • Applicants must meet the following requirements:
    • Be a citizen of the United States;
    • Be a student in good standing;
    • Be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of his/her study abroad program or internship;
    • Be in the process of applying to, or accepted for, a study abroad or internship program of at least two weeks, in a single country and eligible for credit from the student’s home institution. Proof of program acceptance is required prior to award disbursement;
    • Be proposing to study in a country not currently under a Travel Warning issued by the United States Department of State* or otherwise determined ineligible for program participation.
Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship

Get Creative!

  • Use electronic resources like Kickstarter and GoFundMe
  • Waive holiday and birthday gifts and request financial gifts or loans instead.
  • Ask friends to join you in raising money by painting, cleaning, washing cars, etc.
  • Ask your church, synagogue or temple to sponsor a special offering, dinner, or raffle.
  • Your dollar may go further than you think! Check out this currency converter to see it's value in the country you're interested in.

Questions? Contact Us!