Woodturning 2: Basic
Course Number: 10306101
10-306-101 WOODTURNING 2: BASIC ...woodturning lathe, shop safety practices, woodturning stock, cutting tools, bandsaw, sharpening, chucking, bowl turning setup and product development. (Prerequisite: Woodturning 1: Introduction, 10-306-100)
Course Typically Offered
Length of Course
- Less than 8 weeks
- Integrate strategies that support wood turning safe practices and facility health policies.
- Identify the components of a quality wood lathe.
- Identify wood stock selection practices.
- Distinguish cutting tool operational functions between center spindle turning and bowl faceplate turning.
- Incorporate the use of the bandsaw into the initial stages of wood blocks preparation for turning.
- Perform cutting tool sharpening procedures.
- Differentiate the different chucking systems used in mounting wood blanks for lathe turning.
- Prepare the lathe for a bowl turned product.
- Produce a wooden bowl turned product using the shop lathe.
- Summarize the finished product for design, form, balance, and the marketplace.