Childcare Funding

While you pursue a degree or diploma at NWTC, you may be eligible for childcare funding. Our staff can also help you find a childcare provider that works for you and your family.  

The NWTC Childcare Fund is supported in part with grant funding from the Wisconsin Technical College System and community-based organizations and with 68% by a $73,342 U.S. Department of Education Child Care Access Means Parents in School (CCAMPIS) grant.  The purpose of this fund is to increase access to post-secondary education for parents by alleviating childcare expenses for students while they further their education.  

Do I qualify for funding?  

To qualify for funding students must meet the qualifications below: 
  • Be enrolled in credit courses.  

  • Have out-of-pocket childcare expenses for children 12 and under.   

  • Have a childcare provider who is licensed/certified through the state.   

  • Show there is a financial need. 

    • Receive a Pell grant for the semester they are receiving childcare funding.  

    • Receive some form of state assistance (ex. Foodshare, Badgercare, WI Shares).  

    • If neither of the above, complete a budget to show need, based off monthly household income versus monthly household expenses. 

How much assistance could I qualify for? 

  • Funding amounts will be based on $50/credit per semester with a max of $1,000 for the semester. Students who have more than one child in childcare, or receive a Pell grant and also use a childcare provider who is 4/5 Youngstar rated, may be eligible for additional funding.  

If I don’t currently have a licensed childcare provider, can you help me find one? 

  • Yes! We can work together to access different resources to help you find a daycare provider that works for you and your family.  

Is there additional childcare funding available through the state? 

  • To apply for additional childcare funding through the Wisconsin Shares Child Care Subsidy program, apply online at the Wisconsin ACCESS website or call 888-794-5747. If you need help with submitting required school enrollment and financial aid information to your case worker, email  

Do I have to use a specific childcare provider to qualify for funding? 

  • Any childcare provider qualifies for childcare funding if they are certified/licensed through the state of Wisconsin.   

If I receive state assistance to pay for childcare expenses through WI Shares, can I still apply for childcare funding? 

  • Yes! The childcare fund can help you pay for out of pocket childcare expenses not covered through state funding.

Ready to apply or have additional questions, fill out our application below.