Skip to content

Childcare Funding

Home » Student Experience » Student Support Services » Childcare Funding
Childcare Funding

Being a student and a parent has its challenges. That’s why NWTC offers childcare funding and services to help parenting students achieve academic success. You can soar higher – we’re here to help!

Do I qualify for funding?

To qualify for funding, students must meet the qualifications below:

  1. Be enrolled in credit courses.  
  2. Have out-of-pocket childcare expenses for children 12 and under.  
  3. Show there is a financial need:
    • Receive a Pell grant for the semester they are receiving childcare funding.  
    • Receive some form of state assistance (ex. Foodshare, Badgercare, WI Shares).  
    • If neither of the above, meet with a Student Support Specialist to complete a budget and show need based off available resources versus monthly household expenses.

How much assistance could I qualify for? 

  • Funding amounts vary based upon assessment, financial circumstances, and number of children. Students who receive a Pell grant and also use a childcare provider who is 4/5 Youngstar rated, may be eligible for additional funding.  

Do I have to use a specific childcare provider to qualify for funding? 

  • We work with all licensed/certified childcare providers through the state of Wisconsin. Non-licensed childcare providers may also be eligible if they meet the non-licensed provider guidelines. For more information please click the Learn more about Childcare Funding button below.

If I don't currently have a childcare provider, are there resources available to help me find one? 

  • Yes! We can work together to access different resources to help you find a child care provider that works for you and your family.    

Is there additional childcare funding available through the state? 

If I receive state assistance to pay for childcare expenses through WI Shares, can I still apply for childcare funding?

  • Yes! The childcare fund can help you pay for out of pocket childcare expenses not covered through state funding.

If I only have online courses, can I still qualify for childcare funding?

  • Yes! While you may not have to come to campus for your classes, we understand that it can be hard to study and do homework while also watching your child(ren) at home
The NWTC Childcare Fund is supported in part with grant funding from the Wisconsin Technical College System and community based organizations and with 68% by a $73,342 U.S. Department of Education Child Care Access Means Parents in School (CCAMPIS) grant.  The purpose of this fund is to increase access to post-secondary education for parents by alleviating childcare expenses for students while they further their education.