Parenting and Childcare Support
Being a student and a parent can be challenging. Luckily, childcare funding and other resources are available to help parenting students focus on learning and achieve academic success!
NWTC provides financial assistance to help eligible students afford childcare. Plus, we can help you find a quality childcare provider. Learn more with these frequently asked questions:
Am I eligible for funding?
To qualify for childcare funds, you must:
- Be enrolled in credit courses.
- Have out-of-pocket childcare expenses for your child/children 12 and under.
- Show financial need:
- Are you receiving a Pell grant for the semester in which you’d like childcare funding?
- Are you receiving some form of state assistance (such as Foodshare, Badgercare, WI Shares)?
- If neither of the above applies to you, you may still be able to show financial need by meeting with an NWTC student support specialist. Together, you can complete a budget that shows your available resources and your monthly household expenses.
How much assistance could I qualify for?
Funding amounts vary based upon assessment, financial circumstances, and number of children.
Plus, you may be eligible for additional funding if you:
- Have more than one child in childcare.
- Receive a Pell grant and use a childcare provider who is 4/5 Youngstar rated.
- Meet other financial criteria (talk to an NWTC student support specialist for more information).
Do I have to use a specific childcare provider to qualify for funding?
We work with all licensed/certified childcare providers through the state of Wisconsin. Non-licensed childcare providers may also be eligible if they meet the non-licensed provider guidelines. For more information please click the Learn more about Childcare Funding button below.
If I don't currently have a childcare provider, are there resources available to help me find one?
Yes! We can work together to access different resources to help you find a child care provider that works for you and your family.
Is there additional childcare funding available through the state?
Check out the WI Shares Child Care Subsidy Program to see if you would qualify for additional childcare funding through the state. If you need help with submitting required school enrollment and financial aid information to your case worker, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If I receive state assistance to pay for childcare expenses through WI Shares, can I still apply for childcare funding?
Yes! The childcare fund can help you pay for out of pocket childcare expenses not covered through state funding.
If I only have online courses, can I still qualify for childcare funding?
Yes! While you may not have to come to campus for your classes, we understand that it can be hard to study and do homework while also watching your child(ren) at home