Wellness: Think Positive

Home » Blog » 2020 » April » Wellness: Think Positive
Orange wall displaying I Came to Make a Difference text

You don't know what tomorrow will bring. You can't go hang out with your friends or see a friend's new baby. College looks a lot different than it did two months ago. Classes are now done from your living room or kitchen table and not the lab. You see your instructors and classmates on video.

The COVID-19 pandemic brings a lot of emotions; fear, anxiety, stress, worry, and even anger. This is a different time that no one has a script for. It is more important than ever to take care of your physical and mental wellbeing. It is ok. Tell yourself it is ok. It is ok to be scared. It is ok to be worried. It is ok to be angry. You are not alone. You are what matters. Remember that, you are what matters. How you are feeling matters.

Anxiety makes demands of us: to study before a test, to approach a potential new friend, to wear our seatbelts. Most of the time, anxiety helps us prepare for potential threats or to take a risk and go after what we want. Anxiety related to COVID-19 is a bit different because many of our choices have been made for us through social distancing and quarantine. It can leave us feeling helpless and out of control.

Rather than dwelling there, act on what you can control and what is good for you. You can make a difference in how you are feeling and how others around you feel, by simply thinking and spreading positivity. Make a healthy meal, exercise, enjoy the warming sun, or spend time at home or use technology to connect with loved ones. This can help you feel grounded in a time of uncertainty and fear.

You may feel lonely, but you are not alone.

NWTC has virtual counseling resources available. Find out more.

Wes Johnson
Wes Johnson
Licensed Professional Counselor

I have been married since 1994 and my wife has often said that I am a duality, like two sides of the same coin. For example, I am an avid gamer and I love technology, especially video games. At the same time, I grow weary of screens, and I recharge by spending time with good friends and family. Another example of my dual nature is that I tend to get bored by the fine arts, yet I absolutely love to cook with a lot of flair and artistic touches.

I love being a counselor and the best part of my job is being able to make connections with students, helping them feel comfortable with counseling. My favorite counseling issues are relationships, anxiety, supporting those with a spectrum disorder, past trauma, anger management, parenting, veterans, and faith supportive therapy. I have four kids, so I also understand the stress of being a parent while reaching for my own goals.

View All Blogs
Loading