Employment for Current Students

International Students At Work


For F-1 international students, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) are the two most popular avenues for students interested in off-campus internships and employment. F-1 students become eligible for CPT or OPT after one year of full-time attendance.

F-1 students may work on-campus without a special work authorization, although this is limited to part-time (up to 20 hours a week) while school is in session, and full-time (over 20 hours a week) during breaks and vacations. "Work Study" is a component of federal financial aid for U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents, therefore, international students are not eligible for these types of on-campus jobs.  

Career Services staff is available to help international students find internship opportunities, and advise students on creating resumes and preparing for interviews.

Curricular Practical Training for F-1 Students
Optional Practical Training for F-1 Students