Skip to content

Motorcycle Class FAQs

Home » Academics and Training » Motorcycle Classes » Motorcycle Class FAQs

What does the class cost?

Please contact Enrollment Services at 920-498-5444.

How do I get enrolled?

View your choices here.

How many hours is the class?

The class is a total of 16 hours. Classroom consists of 6 hours and the riding portion consists of 10 hours.

What does the class consist of?

In the classroom learners will be provided with ways to minimize risk and handle special riding situations. During the riding portion learners will be coached to develop the physical skills of basic control including straight line riding, stopping, turning and shifting and then move on to more advanced skills in stopping quickly, cornering and swerving.

Do I need my temporary permit before class begins?

A motorcycle temporary permit from the Department of Transportation is not required to enroll in or attend the Motorcycle Rider Course. Effective October 1, 2006, individuals completing a Basic Motorcycle Rider Course are not required to hold a motorcycle temporary permit before they receive their Class M (motorcycle) license. In other words, if a student decides to take the motorcycle course and passes, he/she may present the yellow copy of the Motorcycle Skills Test Waiver Authorization (MV3575 form received upon class completion) at the Department of Transportation, then take and pass the written knowledge test and pay only the Class M fee. Students who want to practice riding the motorcycle on the roadways prior to attending the motorcycle course will need to pass the written knowledge test at the Department of Transportation and pay the temporary Permit fee. Individuals under 18 years of age who want a temporary permit for the third time will need verification of enrollment to present to the Department of Transportation to obtain their temporary permit. The MV3575 Motorcycle Skills Test Waiver Authorization is the required document and is available, after enrollment and payment, by calling the NWTC Traffic Safety Office at (920) 498-5526 or (800) 422-6982, ext. 5526.

Do I need to bring my own motorcycle?

Due to liability issues, students are required to use motorcycles provided by NWTC.

What supplies will I need?

The learner is required to wear the appropriate riding gear for riding sessions, including long non-flare pants, long sleeve shirt or jacket, sturdy shoes that cover ankles, full-fingered gloves, eye protection and a DOT-approved helmet. A limited number of helmets are available for student use.

What size motorcycles will we learn on?

According to State of Wisconsin guidelines, motorcycles used in the basic rider course are 350cc or smaller. NWTC has a variety of makes and models available for student use designed to accommodate individual size specifications.

How old does a person need to be to attend the class?

Learners must be 15 ½ years of age and have completed Driver Education Theory.

What are the requirements for successful completion?

The learner must:

  • Complete required MSF eCourse prior to first day of class
  • Attend all classes
  • Be on time for class
  • Sign and turn in Liability Waiver Form
  • Participate in learning and class discussions
  • Provide written answers to study questions
  • Pass the riding assessment that measure riding competencies

Will I get my license if I pass the class?

Upon satisfactory completion of the class, the learner will be provided with a MV3575 Motorcycle Test Skills Waiver Authorization and will not have to take the skills/road test at the Department of Transportation. The Waiver Form, when presented at any Wisconsin Department of Transportation exam station, will entitle the individual to a Class "M" license provided other licensing requirements are met.


Contact 920-498-5526 or 1-800-422-6982, Ext. 5526