Early Childhood, The Preschool - Certificate
The Preschool Certificate is designed for individuals working with children ages three to five. This might include family childcare providers, child care teachers, preschool teachers, certified providers, or anyone wishing to provide a quality environment and learning activities for children in this critical age group. The ECE: Preschool Practicum (10-307-175) is taken last. Completion of all six courses will prepare learners to receive The Wisconsin Preschool Credential from The Registry-Wisconsin’s Recognition System for the Childhood Care and Education Profession.
How do I get started in this program?
Requirements for Certificate Entry
- Apply at www.nwtc.edu/apply.
- Complete physical examination within three months prior to Practicum course.
- Complete caregiver background check. A fee is charged for this service. Must be completed to be accepted to the program.
- Tip! Our admission advisors will assist you through every step. Have questions? Connect with NWTC Admissions at email@example.com or 920-498-5444.
What will I learn?
- Curriculum Note: Students must earn a "C" or higher in all 10-307-XXX courses to successfully graduate the Early Childhood: The Preschool Certificate. If the course is sequential, the successful retake must occur before continuing the sequence.
- The Preschool Practicum may be applied to the Registry Preschool Credential (NWTC Certificate), Early Childhood Technical Diploma, and the Associate Degree Program. Learners complete the following courses prior to the Practicum: 10-307-167 ECE: Health Safety & Nutrition; 10-307-179 ECE: Child Development; 10-307-110 ECE: Social Studies, Art, Music; 10-307-108 ECE: Early Language & Literacy; 10-307-188 ECE: Guiding Child Behavior OR 10-307-174.
- Registry Credential (NWTC Preschool Certificate): Students taking the Preschool Practicum class for the Preschool Credential need to be working with preschool age children in their workplace.
- Early Childhood Associate Degree: Students taking the Preschool Practicum class for the Early Childhood Associate Degree will be placed in a preschool classroom to complete their required practicum hours.
What else do I need to know about the program?
- Wisconsin Caregiver Law NWTC is required to comply with The Child Care Development Block Grant (CCDBG) Act of 2014, which sought to make child care safer by ensuring that individuals working with or in proximity to children have not committed violent crimes, child abuse or sexual offenses. The new federal law requires states to establish and manage state-administered background checks for individuals to operate, reside in or work at a child care center. The Department of Children and Families (DCF) conducts FBI fingerprint checks initially and every five years. In addition to the FBI criminal history search, DCF checks: Wisconsin Department of Justice (DOJ) criminal history, Federal and state sex offender registries, child abuse and neglect records, professional licenses maintained by the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS), Consolidated Court Automation Programs (CCAP), and out-of-state criminal child abuse and sex offender records within the last five years. Students accepted into this program must complete a background check. A fee is charged for this service. Information regarding this process is provided to students immediately upon acceptance into the program. Students with a criminal history may be denied access to placement at the discretion of the practicum site. Consequently, should a student have a history of convictions of serious crimes or a history of improper behaviors, NWTC cannot guarantee practicum placement or guarantee graduation within typical program timing. Please note: Students in the Early Childhood Education program must complete and submit a CBC request form, regardless of whether or not they have completed a similar form at their place of employment. NWTC conducts its own checks through DCF and will not accept the results of a CBC from another institution. Students that do not comply with completing the CBC will dropped from their practicum course.
Commission with The Registry for the Wisconsin Preschool Credential.