Organic Chemistry 1
Course Number: 10506160
10-506-160 ORGANIC CHEMISTRY 1 ...covers chemical bonding, nomenclature of organic molecules, physical and chemical properties of organic molecules and functional groups, reactivity, stereochemistry, reaction mechanisms, and oxidation and reduction of organic molecules. (Prerequisite: 10-506-136, College Chemistry 2 with a "C" or better)
Course Typically Offered
Length of Course
- More than 8 weeks
- Execute laboratory guidelines and established laboratory practices.
- Use appropriate scientific equipment, measurement practices, and scientific method.
- Determine structure and chemical bonding of organic molecules.
- Examine organic acids and bases.
- Examine properties of organic molecules.
- Characterize alkanes.
- Investigate stereochemistry.
- Explore general organic reactions.
- Analyze nucleophilic substitution reactions.
- Analyze elimination reactions.
- Examine alcohols, ethers, and related compounds.
- Characterize alkenes.
- Characterize alkynes.