Medical Asst Lab Procedures 1
Course Number: 31509303
31-509-303 MEDICAL ASSISTANT LABORATORY PROCEDURES 1...introduces medical assistant students to laboratory procedures commonly performed by medical assistants in a medical office setting. Students perform Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) waived routine laboratory procedures commonly performed in the ambulatory care setting. Students follow laboratory safety requirements and federal regulations while performing specimen collection and processing, microbiology and urinalysis testing. (Prerequisite: Accepted into Medical Assistant Program; Pre/Corequisites: 10-501-101, Medical Terminology; 10-501-107, Digital Literacy for Healthcare; 31-509-302, Human Body in Health/Disease; 31-509-301, MA Administrative Procedures; 31-509-304 Medical Assist Clin Procedures 1)
Course Typically Offered
Most NWTC classes are offered in 8-week sessions. Learn more about how our class schedule can help you succeed.
- Adhere to laboratory safety principles per federal regulations and guidelines
- Instruct patients in the collection of specimens
- Obtain specimens for laboratory testing
- Process laboratory specimens
- Perform quality control measures
- Perform CLIA waived urinalysis
- Perform CLIA waived microbiology testing
- Perform routine maintenance of clinical lab equipment
- Perform capillary puncture
- Summarize the role of the clinical laboratory in healthcare.