Med Office Insurance & Finance
Course Number: 31509307
31-509-307 MEDICAL OFFICE INSURANCE & FINANCE ...introduces medical assistant students to health insurance and finance in the medical office. Students perform bookkeeping procedures, apply managed care guidelines, and complete insurance claim forms. Students use medical coding and managed care terminology to perform insurance-related duties. (Prerequisites: 31-509-301, Medical Assistant Administrative Procedures; 31-509-302 Human Body in Health & Disease; 10-501-101, Medical Terminology; 10-501-107 Intro to Healthcare Computing (or any other computer course); Corequisites: 31-509-305 Medical Assistant Lab Procedures 2; 31-509-306, Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures 2; 31-509-308 Pharm for Allied Health)
Course Typically Offered
- Perform bookkeeping procedures.
- Perform accounts receivable procedures including posting charges, payments, and adjustments.
- Examine the medical assistant's role in regards to payments and banking activities.
- Explore the medical assistant's role in regards to billing procedures.
- Perform accounts payable procedures
- Perform diagnostic coding
- Perform procedural coding
- Apply third party reimbursement policies and procedures.
- Complete an insurance claim form.