Course Number: 10110104
10-110-104 LEGAL RESEARCH ...learn and apply skills related to research terminology; sources of law; primary/secondary authority; mandatory/persuasive authority; citation form; factual/legal issues; effective research strategies; validating and updating results; computer-assisted legal research; Internet research. (Associate Degree Prerequisite: 10-110-101, Paralegal Intro/Legal Ethics with a "C" or better; Technical Diploma Corequisite: 10-110-101, Paralegal Intro/Legal Ethics)
Course Typically Offered
- Use terminology associated with legal research.
- Explain the different sources of law.
- Differentiate between and identify primary and secondary authority.
- Identify mandatory and persuasive authority.
- Use proper citation form.
- Develop and use effective legal research strategies.
- Develop efficient methods of validating and updating legal research results.
- Explain the basic functions of different types of online research tools.
- Demonstrate competent use of computer assisted legal research.
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of using the Internet as a tool for factual and legal research