Legal Computer Applications
Course Number: 10110175
10-110-175 LEGAL COMPUTER APPLICATIONS ...exploration of technology used in a law office including hardware, and general applications software, MS Office, and legal applications software for calendaring, docketing, timekeeping and billing, case/matter management; Wisconsin e-filing and electronic courtrooms; ethical issues and the paralegal's role with respect to technology in a law office. (Corequisite 10-110-101, Paralegal Intro/Legal Ethics)
Course Typically Offered
Most NWTC classes are offered in 8-week sessions. Learn more about how our class schedule can help you succeed.
- Describe types of hardware, software and other technologies used in the law office.
- Explain the ethical issues associated with the use of hardware, software and other technologies used in the law office.
- Create documents typically used in a law office using Microsoft Office programs.
- Track appointments and deadlines for law firm personnel using legal-specific calendaring software.
- Create timekeeping and billing records for law firm personnel using legal-specific timekeeping and billing software.
- Document information regarding litigation matters using legal-specific case management software.
- Explain the requirements of e-filing court documents.
- Describe the technology available in electronic courthouses and the ethical concerns relating to its use.
- Create a voiced-over presentation using several features available in presentation software.
- Describe the function of a paralegal with respect to technology in a law office.