Introduction to Solar
Course Number: 10-482-126
10-482-126 INTRODUCTION TO SOLAR ...an overview of the use of sunlight to produce heat and electricity and the practical and economical use of solar power and solar thermal systems. Learn the importance of energy efficiency and the economics of solar hybrid designs.
How can I use this course to achieve my career goals?
This course is associated with the following programs:
What will I learn?
- Describe energy and its different forms
- Describe how society uses energy
- Evaluate the pros and cons of society's current energy sources
- Identify how renewable resources can be used to make energy
- Explain the pros and cons of renewable energy
- Define Solar Energy as an energy resource
- Describe how Solar Energy is used to make electricity.
- Describe the different components of a photovoltaic system
- Explain the steps involved in a photovoltaic system installation.
- Describe how Solar Energy is used to heat water and air for use in buildings.
- Compare types of solar hot water heating systems and determine their suitability for the application
- Analyze the purpose & operation of the different components of a solar hot water system.
- Compare types of solar air heating systems.
- Analyze the purpose & operation of the different components of a solar air heating system.
- Explain the steps involved in solar thermal system installation.
- Explain the process of producing electricity from solar thermal concentrating collectors
- Explain the process of air conditioning using solar thermal collectors