GERO: Gerontology Internship
Course Number: 10544212
10-544-212 GERO: GERONTOLOGY INTERNSHIP...students integrate concepts from all previous courses through supervised training in an appropriate setting and actual work experience and observation. Learners will further develop their critical thinking skills through communications and counseling experience, client assessment and case plan development and implementation. Learners will also share experiences and provide feedback online throughout the course. (Prerequisites: 10-544-207, Legal and Ethical Issues of Aging; 10-544-210, Gero:Generations and Diversity in Aging; Corequisites: 10-544-208, Gero: Developing the Gerontology Professional; 10-544-209, Gero: Programs and Services in Aging.)
Course Typically Offered
Length of Course
- More than 8 weeks
- Provide recommendations for successful aging and optimal quality of life.
- Evaluate physical, social, psychological and spiritual aspects of aging.
- Identify and refer older adults to needed services.
- Exhibit behaviors and conduct that reflect safe, legal, and ethical gerontological practices.
- Evaluate and advocate in the area of aging public policy.
- Exhibit professional communication.
- Develop ethical and cultural awareness related to aging.
- Develop activities to meet physical, social, psychological needs of the aging population.
- Create a personal professional development plan.
- Incorporate evidence-based gerontology practices in delivery of services.
- Implement activities to meet the needs of the aging population.