Course Number: 10316119
10-316-119 FOOD THEORY ...develop the knowledge, skills and understanding of food preparation in commercial kitchens. (Prerequisite: Acceptance in Culinary Specialist technical diploma or Culinary Management associate degree)
Course Typically Offered
Most NWTC classes are offered in 8-week sessions. Learn more about how our class schedule can help you succeed.
- Identify skills required in food preparation.
- Identify various cooking techniques.
- Identify uses of culinary tools, knives and equipment.
- Integrate proper sanitation techniques.
- Manage mise en place techniques.
- Utilize math skills for the food industry.
- Determine proper cooking and holding times.
- Identify appropriate methods for measuring recipe ingredients.
- Use principles of food science during food preparation.
- Determine the cost per portion of meat cuts, poultry, fish, and shellfish.