Course Number: 10-090-375
10-090-375 DAIRY NUTRITION ...this course covers ruminant nutrition from calf to milking animal. Utilize forage analysis to balance rations. Learn basic ration formulations utilizing computer software and the pros and cons of various feed stuffs utilized in the dairy industry.
How can I use this course to achieve my career goals?
This course is associated with the following programs:
What will I learn?
- Describe the ruminant digestive system anatomy and physiology.
- Explain the roles the major digestive nutrients play in ruminant metabolism.
- Determine nutritional requirements for dairy cattle at different growth stages, life cycles and environmental conditions.
- Categorize feedstuffs that are used to provide the nutrients required by dairy cattle.
- Demonstrate methods to test feeds for quality and nutritional content.
- Evaluate feeds based on information from feed test reports.
- Evaluate the impact feed quality has on animal health and productivity.
- Explain the factors affecting dry matter intake.
- Identify nutritional metabolic diseases and nutrient deficiencies in dairy cattle.
- Calculate crop yields, dry matter, feed values, and nutritional supplementation needs of ruminant diets.
- Describe the commercial feed laws and regulations and how they affect dairy feeding decisions.