Course Number: 10-483-108
Description: 10-483-108 SOLAR THERMAL-ADVANCED ...this course provides the opportunity for the learner to develop the basic working knowledge and skills required in the solar thermal industry. Topics of concentration include solar thermal systems, system diagraming, system installation, thermal storage, component selection, plumbing and piping, plumbing codes, safety, system maintenance and system troubleshooting. (Prerequisite: 10-482-126, Intro to Solar)
Total Credits: 4
Prior Learning Assessments
- Explore the basics of solar thermal types and system installations.
- Investigate the solar insolation data and load calculation procedures for sizing solar thermal systems.
- Analyze the OSHA safety requirements for typical solar thermal installations.
- Analyze the plumbing code requirements for typical solar thermal installations
- Size pressurized closed loop, drainback, and air heating solar thermal systems.
- Determine the typical procedures for mounting solar thermal collectors.
- Access the plumbing, electrical, building requirements and relevant codes pertaining to the typical solar thermal installations.
- Determine maintenance, troubleshooting, and installation concerns for typical solar thermal installations.
- Install a solar thermal system.
- Investigate available solar thermal controllers that are readily available in today's market.
- Analyze the role of thermal storage in solar thermal systems.
- Describe the role of transpired air collectors in HVAC energy savings potential.