Cybersecurity Incident Notification Procedure
To ensure timely response, any College employee who suspects that a cybersecurity incident has occurred shall promptly notify the NWTC Help Desk by calling 920-498-6800. During off hours or campus closure, notification shall be made to the 24/7 Student Help Line, 920-498-6900.
In the event that a potential incident involves a campus computer, stop using the system immediately. It is critical that those involved await further instruction from Information Instructional Technology (IIT) staff prior to continued operation of the computer. Upon notification, IIT staff will engage the Cybersecurity Incident Response Team, who will follow internal incident handling procedures and notification protocol.
What is a cybersecurity incident?
A single or series of adverse events in a computing resource, or the threat of the occurrence of such an event. An incident implies harm, or the attempt to do harm by compromising the confidentiality, integrity, or availability of a computing resource.
Here is a list of cybersecurity incidents that should be immediately reported to the NWTC Help Desk.
- Denial of Service - degraded performance on a computer system, network, or application which is often malicious in intent.
- Malware - any malicious software designed to damage, disrupt or gain unauthorized access.Examples of malware include viruses, trojans, worms, rootkits, keyloggers, spyware and ransomware.
- Phishing Scam - the use of deception to obtain sensitive information or gain unauthorized access to a computing resource, often with malicious intent through email, instant messaging, or over the phone.
- Privacy Violation - the unauthorized disclosure of personal or protected information as defined in the campus Sensitive Data Policy.
- Probing\Scanning - any unauthorized reconnaissance of a computing resource.Examples include network sniffing, packet capturing, and vulnerability scanning.
- Unauthorized Access - the use or attempted use of a computing resource without permission, including the possession or viewing of data residing within.Adding, changing, or removing data from a computing resource without permission.
- Vulnerability/Weakness - a problem or misconfiguration within a computing resource that increases the likelihood of harm to the organization.
If you have any questions, please contact the NWTC Help Desk.
NWTC IIT HelpDesk