VITA Free Tax Preparation

Home » Community Members » VITA Free Tax Preparation
W-2 Forms ready to be filled out

Need help preparing your tax return? You may be eligible to get your taxes done for free with assistance from NWTC Accounting Students. This service is open to students and community members who qualify for the services.  

Through the IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, NWTC offers free basic tax preparation to qualified individuals. NWTC Accounting program students, who are IRS-certified volunteers, prepare the income tax returns for over 250 individuals each year.  

Free tax help through the VITA program is available to:

  • People who generally make $57,000 or less. 
  • Persons with disabilities.
  • Limited English-speaking taxpayers. 

Tax return forms VITA will prepare:

  • Wages, salaries, etc. (Form W-2).   
  • Interest Income (Form 1099-INT).   
  • Dividends Received (Form 1099-DIV).   
  • State Tax Refunds (Form 1099-G).   
  • Unemployment Benefits (Form 1099-G).   
  • IRA Distributions (Form 1099-R).   
  • Pension Income (Forms 1099-R, RRB-1099, CSA-1099).   
  • Social Security Benefits (Form SSA-1099) (RRB-1099).   
  • Simple Capital Gain/Loss (Form 1099-B) limited.   
  • Sale of Home (Form 1099-S) limited.   
  • Self-employed Income (Form 1099-MISC) limited.   
  • Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G).   
  • Cancellation of Debt (Form 1099-C) limited.   
  • Health Savings Accounts (Form 1099-SA) limited.   
  • Itemized Deductions limited • Education Credits (Form 1098-T).   
  • Child Tax Credit.    
  • Earned Income Credit.   
  • Health Insurance Statements (Forms 1095-A, B or C).   
  • Prior Year and Amended Returns limited.   

Tax return forms VITA will not prepare:

  • Self-employed income that includes expenses over $50,000 or depreciation or sale of an asset.   
  • Rental income.   
  • Married filing separately.

How to schedule VITA services:

The VITA site at NWTC has stopped accepting tax returns for this season. If you submitted your return through VITA, you don't need to take any further action. Check the status of your refund:

What to bring to a VITA appointment:

  1. Proof of identification (photo ID).   
  2. Social security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents.   
  3. Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return.   
  4. Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers.   
  5. Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099).   
  6. A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available.   
  7. Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check.   
  8. Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number.   
  9. Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements (Marketplace insurance).   

To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.   

How to check your refund status:

  • Check the status of your federal refund at: and click on Get Your Refund Status.   
  • Check the status of your State of Wisconsin refund at: and click on Where’s my Refund.