A bright future in welding

Home » Blog » Student Stories
Kalev Nelsen is turning his passion for welding into a career. On track to graduate in May from the Welding technical diploma program at NWTC Marinette, the Crivitz resident hopes to obtain a welding

Kalev Nelsen

Welding student in Marinette

Kalev Nelsen is turning his passion for welding into a career. On track to graduate in May from the Welding technical diploma program at NWTC Marinette, the Crivitz resident hopes to obtain a welding apprenticeship after graduation.

“I thought that going to NWTC would help further my knowledge and skills in welding, and it definitely has helped tremendously,” he said.

With NWTC Marinette’s Welding program, he likes that he is “learning everything in nine months.” In addition, he appreciates the campus’s small class sizes and helpful faculty and staff. “They really just want to see the best for their students and are happy to help any way they can,” he said.

Like many NWTC students, Nelsen is busy balancing college with work. He is currently employed by Samuel Pressure Vessel Group, a Marinette company that is a major supporter of NWTC’s welding program and Marinette campus.

Outside of welding, he supports his family’s popular restaurant in Crivitz – Sky Harbor 2 (the restaurant recently made a social media splash when Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers head coach, made a surprise visit!). He also does photography on the side.

“Kalev has such a bright future,” said Amanda Nelson, NWTC Marinette customer contact specialist. “He has lots of creative talent and is focused on a successful career in welding.”

The Welding technical diploma is just one of more than 50 academic programs available through NWTC Marinette. The campus offers in-person, online, and blended classes; quick certificates; technical diploma and associate degree programs; and university transfer options – including the Associate of Arts Transfer and Associate of Science Transfer degrees.

Check out all of the programs and services available at the NWTC Marinette campus.

Read more about Kalev Nelsen’s NWTC experience in the Q & A below. Learn why he chose NWTC Marinette, his goals after graduation, and his tips for future students.

Q & A with Kalev Nelsen

Why did you choose NWTC Marinette?

I chose NWTC because it was very budget friendly for everything that we would be learning. I also chose it because I like that we learn everything in nine months. NWTC Marinette is a lot more one on one with the classes being smaller. There is a lot more time that you get to spend with your teacher instead of being in a ginormous class and having to teach yourself a lot of the things.

Why did you choose the Welding program?

I really enjoy welding and am pretty decent at it as well. I thought that going to NWTC would help further my knowledge and skills in welding, and it definitely has helped tremendously.

What is your goal after graduating?

After I graduate in May, I hope to get an apprenticeship and use my skills I gained from NWTC to help me in furthering my career in welding.

What would you tell someone thinking about attending the campus or the program you are enrolled in?

Overall I think that NWTC is a great technical college that has helped me turn my passion for welding into a career. NWTC also has a lot of connections to local companies and shops around town. That makes it a lot easier to get a great job right after you graduate. They really just want to see the best for their students and are happy to help any way they can.

NWTC is also really good with their student involvement and hosts a bunch of different activities anyone and everyone can attend, from free coffee and donuts to making stuffed animals and eating a whole cooked meal for free. So if you're on the edge of going or not going to NWTC I think that you should try it out!

Any tips for future NWTC students?

I would tell them to definitely give NWTC a shot. It is totally worth it. Even if you end up changing career paths. NWTC has many different options to choose from. It also would be fun to just gain all the knowledge you can from taking a course at NWTC. Also, make sure to check your [college] email as much as you can.

A bright future in welding

A bright future in welding

View All Student Stories
Loading