Two members of the College's Information and Instructional Technology team, Devin Fails and Katie Kozak, are showing how women can thrive in the IT field.
Seven tips for leveraging Handshake for virtual job searches
The COVID-19 pandemic forced us all to make some big changes in the way we conduct our daily lives. While we continue to adapt to the new normal, some changes are likely to stick around. Virtual recruiting, for one, is expected to stay.
While the greater access to jobs and candidates that virtual recruiting brings is ultimately beneficial, it can also mean more competition. So how do you make sure you stand out in the crowd? Follow these seven tips to make the most out of Handshake and set yourself apart.
- Complete your Handshake profile. As an NWTC student, you already have one. Just log in with your universal ID and password and fill out your profile. Let your personality shine through in the journey section and tell your story! List all clubs and organizations you were or are a part of. Highlight any jobs and duties that can apply to your field of interest.
- Upload a resume. Upload your current resume to your Handshake profile. Use compelling action verbs and quantify when possible, emphasizing the positive outcome of your experiences. Highlight any special skills or achievements that help you stand out and showcase your unique journey.
- Connect with Career Services. NWTC Career Services is also connected to Handshake, so they can help you craft a strong profile. Use their services to polish, refine, and prepare. They can help you build a killer resume and cover letter, practice interviewing with a mock interview, build a portfolio, and provide free professional clothes from the Career Closet.
- Attend virtual career fairs and events. Find events and career fairs that are relevant to your field of interest. Employers, community organizations, and NWTC will continue to host career fairs through Handshake. Some employers are even hosting Q&A and information sessions on the platform. These are great networking opportunities!
- Research employers. All employers on Handshake have a profile where you can find out more about them. You can read about various topics, including their work, culture, and values. Many employers also have reviews, so you can read what others have to say about their experiences working there.
- Search for Jobs. Handshake is a great place for college students and recent graduates to find work. Employers look to Handshake to recruit for internships, part-time, and full-time jobs for individuals with little to no prior experience required.
- Meet with employers one-on-one. With Handshake’s meeting feature, you can connect with employers right in the Handshake platform. Keeping it all in one place helps keep you organized - no need to worry about downloading and learning additional platforms, or forgetting which one your meeting is on.
Virtual recruiting is here to stay. Make the most of all it has to offer by following the tips above. Leverage your free Handshake account to make sure you stand out in the crowd and get hired. If you have additional questions about Handshake or want help with your resume, cover letter, interview preparation, or general career coaching, reach out to NWTC’s Career Services. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 920-498-6250 to ask questions or schedule an appointment.
Related Blog Posts
Handshake is the number one place for college students to find jobs, and we want to help you make a profile that stands out from the crowd.
New technologies, like virtual reality and 3D printing, are being integrated into NWTC's curriculum to help provide more realistic and immersive training opportunities for students.