Skip to content

Visa Resources

United States Flag

What is a Visa?

In order to enter the United States, you'll need a visa a document issued by the U.S. government, usually at an embassy or consulate outside the U.S. This document allows you to present yourself at the U.S. Port of Entry and request to be let in. After you have applied and are accepted to NWTC, you will take the steps to apply for your visa.

Steps to Apply for Your Visa

Note: Some steps may vary depending on your country's rules. Consult the embassy or consulate website for the country you intend to apply from.

1 - Complete Form I-20 and pay SEVIS I-901 fee.

Once accepted to the college, you will be enrolled in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and you will be issued the Form I-20 by the college. You will then pay the SEVIS I-901 fee to the U.S. government and bring your Form I-20 to a visa interview.

2 - Complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application.

  • Learn more about the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160. Print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview.
  • Upload your photo while completing the online form DS-160. Be aware of the Photograph Requirements.
  • You will need to pay a visa application fee when scheduling your visa interview.

3 - Schedule a visa interview.

Generally, schedule the interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where you live. (You may schedule your interview at any U.S. embassy or consulate, but be aware that it may be more difficult to qualify outsider your place of permanent residence.) Wait times vary by location, season, and visa category, so you should apply for your visa as early as possible. F-1 visas can be issued up to 120 days in advance of your start date for your course of study (listed on your I-20).

Helpful Reminders

Making travel plans

There are no guarantees that you will be issued a visa. Do not make final travel plans for buy tickets until you have a visa.

F-2 visas for family members

Your spouse and unmarried children who intend to reside with you during your stay may apply for an F-2 visa. The college will need to issue them an individual Form I-20 in order for them to receive their visas. Minor children are permitted to attend school in the U.S. while accompanying parents. Get more details on F-2 visas for dependents of F-1 visa holders.

Visa expiration

A visa is valid until its expiration date. If a valid U.S. visa is in an expired passport, the visa is still valid. You may use your valid visa in your expired passport along with a new valid passport for travel and admission into the U.S.  If your visa expires while you are in the U.S., you are still in legal status, since the entry stamp/Form I-94 documents your authorized period of stay, and your visa is an entry document. (You will need a new visa if you plan to travel outside the U.S. and come back.)

Visa refusals

If you are refused a visa, you are permitted to reapply, providing your circumstances have changed. Attempting to obtain a visa by willful misrepresentation may lead to permanent refusal of a visa.

More Visa Resources

State Department Website

For more details on the visa process, go to the U.S. State Dept. website.

Visa Application (DS-160)

Complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application and print confirmation.

Visa Photo Requirements

Find out more about the requirements for visa photographs.

U.S. Embassies

Locate your nearest United States embassy location.

Pay SEVIS I-901 fee

Make your SEVIS I-901 fee payment to the U.S. government.