Cement Mason Apprenticeship
The Cement Mason Apprenticeship program provides work experience that covers a wide range of skills that vary depending on structure types, types of bond laid and kinds of materials used. The so-called "Trowel Trades" include bricklaying, stone laying, plastering, marble masonry, tile laying, terrazzo working and cement finishing.
A mason lays brick and/or other types of masonry to construct foundations, walls, fireplaces, smokestacks, arches and similar structures; ability to do specialized and intricate masonry work such as refractory brick in chimneys and line furnaces, build glass walls and lay out and build ornate arches, fences and fireplaces.
- Block laying
- Cement Finishing
- Tile setting
Apprenticeship Administrative Assistant
Toll-free: 1-800-422-NWTC, ext 5682
What are the qualifications?
Qualifications for Apprenticeships
- Education: High school graduate or GED® (submit copy)
- Age: 18 or high school graduate at 17, no maximum
- Test: Assessment math and reading tests at NWTC
- Accuplacer Bench Mark Scores: Arithmetic - 57, Reading/Comp - 52, Sentence Skills - 60
- License: Valid driver's license (submit copy)
- Completed application
Length of Contract
- 42 months of not less than 4,200-5,460 hours, depending on the masonry trade.
- On-the-job training (OJT) - 3,700-4,960 hours of work (depending on the trade) with a skilled craftsperson as per Exhibit "A"
- Paid-Related Instruction (Day School) - 500 hours and successful completion of class material
- Non-Paid Related Instruction (Night School) - 80 hours. 80% attendance
is required for each class to receive credit. (First Aid CPR; OSHA; Welding; Adv. Blueprint Reading; Transit & Level)
How do I get started in the program?
How to apply
- If you meet the qualifications listed above, complete the application form
for the trade.
- Applicants must also meet with the Committee for an interview, and will receive
a letter of introduction if qualified for the program.
Applications available at:
Masons Business Office
1570 Elizabeth Street
Green Bay, WI 54302
Andy Reed - (920) 301-0234
Northeast WI Area Masonry Joint Apprenticeship Committee
PO Box 19042, Room AP218
Green Bay, WI 54307-9042
800-422-6982, ext. 5682
Counties of Brown, Florence, Kewaunee, Marinette, and Oconto
Classes wherever you have an internet connection.
- An in-person career experience, such as an internship, practicum, or credit for prior learning, may be required.
- Some online courses may be held at specific dates/times.
- Classes between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Classes between the hours of 5:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
- A combination of online classes and Saturday and/or Sunday classes.
- 12 or more credits per term.
- Fewer than 12 credits per term.