Fire Protection Systems
Course Number: 10-503-193
10-503-193 FIRE PROTECTION SYSTEMS ...provides information relating to the features of design and operation of fire detection and suppression systems.
Course Typically Offered
Most NWTC classes are offered in 8-week sessions. Learn more about how our class schedule can help you succeed.
Credit for Prior Learning
How can I use this course to achieve my career goals?
This course is associated with the following programs:
What will I learn?
- Describe various types and uses of fire protection systems.
- Describe the basic elements of a public water supply system as it relates to fire protection.
- Explain the benefits of fire protection systems in various types of structures.
- Explain why water is a commonly used extinguishing agent.
- Identify the different types and components of sprinkler, standpipe and foam systems.
- Describe current residential and commercial sprinkler legislation.
- Identify the different types of non-water based fire suppression systems.
- Explain how the different types of detectors detect fire.
- Describe the hazards of smoke
- Identify the four factors that can influence smoke movement in a building.
- Discuss the appropriate application of fire protection systems.
- Explain the operation and appropriate application for the different types of portable fire protection systems.
- Describe the basic elements of a public water supply system including sources, distribution networks, piping and hydrants.
- Explain the basic components of a fire alarm system.