Building Construction for Fire Protection
Course Number: 10-503-143
10-503-143 BUILDING CONSTRUCTION FOR FIRE PROTECTION ...provides the components of building construction that relate to fire and life safety.
Course Typically Offered
Most NWTC classes are offered in 8-week sessions. Learn more about how our class schedule can help you succeed.
Credit for Prior Learning
How can I use this course to achieve my career goals?
This course is associated with the following programs:
What will I learn?
- Explain the theoretical concepts of fire impact on major types of building construction.
- Describe building construction relative to firefighter safety, building codes, fire prevention, code inspection, firefighting strategies and firefighting tactics.
- Explain the different loads and stresses that are placed on various construction types
- Differentiate between fire resistance and flame spread
- Identify the indicators of potential structural failure as they relate to firefighter safety
- Identify the function of each principle structural component of typical building design.
- Describe the FESHE objectives for building construction and fire protection
- Analyze the hazards and tactical considerations associated with the various types of building construction.
- Explain how the building variables affect the course of the fire