• A student who does not meet the requirements for program entry is required to consult an NWTC counselor about ways to make up any deficiencies through testing or course work.
• It is necessary to show good health as evidenced by a medical examination within three months prior to beginning practicum class to include having a TB test.
• Students will be required to wear a NWTC issued name tag, provide their own transportation to assigned sites and cover any other expenses related to practicum experiences. Students may be expected to travel distances.A NWTC approved Education program polo shirt is required for practicum students and can be purchased in the NWTC Bookstore.
• Availability: Student Teaching hours will span between 6 a.m. – 6 p.m. with the majority of the required hours occurring in the morning.
• Completion of a Wisconsin Technical Skills Attainment (TSA) portfolio is required to graduate from this program.
• NWTC offers credit-based courses, credentials and degree options that align with the YoungStar requirements.
Wisconsin Caregiver Law
NWTC is required to comply with the Wisconsin Caregiver Law (2009 WISCONSIN ACT 76). The completion of a caregiver background check includes the review of criminal records for convictions of serious crimes or a history of improper behavior. Students accepted into this program must complete a background check through www.castlebranch.com. A fee is charged for this service. Information regarding this process is provided to students immediately upon acceptance into the program. Students accepted into this program must complete a Background Information Disclosure form disclosing any acts, crimes, or convictions prior to program entry and annually for the remainder of the program. The information provided in the Background Information Disclosure form must be truthful and match any findings on the criminal record check. Students with a criminal history may be denied access to placement at the discretion of the practicum site. Consequently, should a student have a history of convictions of serious crimes or a history of improper behaviors, NWTC cannot guarantee practicum placement or guarantee graduation within typical program timing. Please note: students in the Early Childhood Education program must complete and submit a CBC, regardless of whether or not they have completed a similar form at their place of employment. NWTC runs its own checks and will not accept the results of a CBC from another institution.
Study Abroad Opportunities
The International Studies staff continually seeks opportunities for students to travel abroad for educational experiences that may be offered in association with program courses. To find out more about which of your program courses may offer an opportunity during this academic year, contact your academic advisor.