Driver’s License and Wisconsin ID

Most F-1 visa international students can drive in Wisconsin for up to one year using their home country’s driver’s license. To see a list of approved countries, check the DMV Website.
F-1 visa students who are in Wisconsin for more than a year and plan to drive a vehicle must apply for a Wisconsin driver’s license. International students who do not drive but would like an identification card can apply for a Wisconsin I.D. card. This may be helpful for providing identification in the U.S. while being able to leave your passport behind in a safe place.
Follow these steps to apply for a driver’s license or state I.D. at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):
  1. Complete a Wisconsin Driver’s License application or Wisconsin Identification Card application
    1. If you have a Social Security Number, write it on the application
    2. If you do not have a Social Security Number, let the DMV staff person know that you do not qualify for a Social Security Number. Only F-1 students who are legally employed qualify for a Social Security Number. The DMV will continue to process your application without a Social Security Number.
    3. Check the box that you are a “temporary visitor”
  2. Bring the following documents to the Department of Motor Vehicles
    1. Valid passport with visa
    2. I-94
    3. I-20 with at least 6 months remaining in your program
    4. Proof of residency such as a NWTC enrollment summary with your current address
  3. If you’re applying for a Driver’s License, you will need to take a vision test, a written test and a practical test of your driving skills.
  4. Drivers Licensing Fees and State ID fees can be found on the WI DMV Website.
Department of Motor Vehicles Green Bay Service Center
942 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI 54304
Hours of Operation