- Why do I need to take a skills assessment?
- Who is required to take a skills assessment?
- Do all students have to take the skills assessment?
- What is a skills assessment?
- How can I do my best?
- How can I study for a skills assessment?
- When and where can I take an assessment or test?
- What is required in order to test?
- Do I have to pay to take a skills assessment or test?
- Must I meet program benchmark scores in order to be admitted into a program?
1. Why do I need to take a skills assessment?
NWTC is committed to assisting you in meeting your learning goals. One of the Multiple Measures NWTC uses is a skills assessment to determine entry-level program, certificate or course readiness.
2. Who is required to take a skills assessment?
If you are entering an associate degree, technical diploma program or taking General Studies courses, you may complete the skills assessment as part of the admissions process. NWTC uses Multiple Measures for college entry and placement into courses. A high school or college GPA of 2.6 or higher or 3.0 or higher for nine Health programs will be the measure used for program acceptance and/or course placement. Students who do not have a GPA of 2.6 or higher will take the ACCUPLACER to determine course placement.
If you have special testing needs or considerations, you should contact the Accommodation Services Office prior to testing.
3. Do all students have to take the skills assessment?
If you have scored well enough on an approved standardized test within five years of entering an NWTC program , you may not have to take the skills assessment.
NWTC also uses Multiple Measures to determine program placement. See FAQ #2 (above) for more information on this.
For further information, contact Enrollment Services at (920) 498-5444 or (888) 385-NWTC.
4. What is a skills assessment?
The skills assessment tests your skill level in the areas related to arithmetic, reading comprehension and sentence skills. Assessments are taken on a computer, and scores are provided immediately upon completion. This test is not timed, so breaks are allowed.
5. How can I do my best?
- Arrive early, be rested and ready to concentrate.
- Turn off all cell phones and pagers. Lock all personal items in the keyed lockers inside the Assessment Center. More details are available in the Prezi Presentation - prezi.com/ak0dlne03re8/things-that-should-be-left-outside-of-the-testing-room/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy
- Due to limited locker space, you may want to leave any personal items in your car or with a trusted friend.
- Have all needed materials available before you begin testing.
- Ask any questions before you begin the assessment.
- Notify a test examiner if you are being distracted during testing.
- The temperature of the exam rooms are controlled by the college and can't be changed, please plan accordingly.
- Take your time, and answer each question to the best of your ability.
6. How can I study for a skills assessment?
If you are studying for the Accuplacer test you can download the Free App for practice questions and answers at https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/student/practice
If you looking to update your Math and Algebra Skills you can visit https://www.khanacademy.org/library.
You can also visit our NWTC Library located in SC 215 in the Student Center building, call 920-498-5493, or stop by their website at http://nwtc.libguides.com/common_library_questions
7. When and where can I take an assessment or test?
The skills assessments, along with a variety of other tests, are administered at the NWTC-Green Bay Campus, and other college locations.
8. What is required in order to test?
You will need picture identification and applicable fees. White boards, markers, and erasers are available for all testers.
9. Do I have to pay to take an assessment or test?
Fees are required for admissions testing, certification testing and high school equivalency testing. For specific fees view Assessment and Testing Fees.
For further information, call the Assessment Center
(920) 498-5427 or (800) 422-NWTC, ext. 5427