Traffic Investigation Proc
Course Number: 10-504-213
Description: 10-504-213 TRAFFIC INVESTIGATION PROCEDURES ...students will have the opportunity to learn how to properly set up, test, and read a speed measuring device (RADAR), identify and describe the laws and court rulings affecting speed measuring device operations, learn to recognize and interpret evidence of operating a motor vehicle while impaired (OWI), demonstrate the proper procedure to administer and interpret standardized field sobriety tests (SFSTs) and make appropriate enforcement decisions, prepare arrest reports for impaired driving violations, and complete arrest paperwork. (Prerequisite: 10-504-211 Advanced Policing; Corequisites: all 10-504-XXX courses in the current semester)
Total Credits: 4
Prior Learning Assessments
- III-W-I Preview the Speed-Measuring Device Operator Training Program (Core Module).
- III-W-2 Explore how speed enforcement helps reduce crashes and their severity in addition to reducing the number of fatalities and injuries caused by speeding.
- III-W-3 Identify and describe the laws, court rulings, regulations, and policies and procedures affecting speed device operations and speed enforcement in general.
- III-W-4 Set up, test and operate a speed-measuring device for enforcement purposes.
- III-W-5 Examine the scientific principles applied to the operation of radar devices.
- III-W-6 Apply the principles of operation to specific radar devices.