Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
NWTC Logo   Link to Home Page


If you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you are considered for all of the following loans, grants, and other programs.

Direct Lending 

If you are working on completing the requirements for a new Direct Loan, please log in to to complete your new loan entrance counseling and new Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN).  If you received an email or a postcard from us, you need to complete these new requirements at this website. 

If you believe you have already completed these requirements, you may log in to and view your completed MPN's and previously completed loan entrance counseling.  This will let you know if you have completed the requirements or not.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

Direct Subsidized Loans are for students with financial need. The financial aid staff will review the results of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and determine the amount you can borrow. You are not charged interest while you’re in school at least half-time and during grace periods and deferment periods.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

You are not required to demonstrate financial need to receive a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Like subsidized loans, the financial aid staff will determine the amount you can borrow based on the results of your FAFSA. Interest accrues (accumulates) on an unsubsidized loan from the time it’s first paid out. You can pay the interest while you are in school and during grace periods and deferment or forbearance periods, or you can allow it to accrue and be capitalized (that is, added to the principal amount of your loan). If you choose not to pay the interest as it accrues, this will increase the total amount you have to repay because you will be charged interest on a higher principal amount.

PLUS (Loans for Parents)

PLUS loans enable parents with good credit histories to borrow to help pay the education expenses of each child who is an eligible dependent undergraduate student enrolled at least half-time (6 credits).

PLUS loans are not awarded based on need and are considered a last resort type of funding. Before a parent may request a PLUS loan, you must have completed a FAFSA and your financial aid file must be complete as well. To apply, please complete BOTH of the following documents.

 Alternative (Private) Loans

On rare occasions, you may look for additional loans on top of Direct loans and PLUS loans.  We always suggest caution in pursuing alternative loans, as these loans are not backed by the Department of Education. 

The lenders who provide these loans may change terms and conditions according to their own policies and procedures, and the interest rates are usually variable and dependent on credit scores

Direct Loan Entrance Counseling Session

If you are a loan recipient you must complete a Loan Entrance Counseling Session prior to receiving your first loan disbursement.

For your convenience, the Loan Entrance Session is available anytime via the Internet at Loan Entrance Counseling

Once you have completed the online Student Loan Counseling Session, the information will be sent via e-mail to the Financial Aid Office. Your check will be applied to your student account and a refund sent to you via mail within a week if applicable.  

Direct Loan Exit Counseling

Exit Counseling is an online educational course for borrowers of Federal Stafford Loan funding. The counseling is required for all borrowers who are no longer attending, or are currently registered for less than six credits at NWTC. Exit Counseling needs to be completed even if you are planning to continue your education at another institution.

How do I complete Exit Counseling?



Complete your Exit Counseling online by visiting and click on the Sing In button.

What will the Exit Counseling cover?

Exit Counseling will explain your rights and responsibilities as a federal loan borrower. It also provides information and terms to help you make the right choices about repayment. During the counseling you will review your total federal student loan debt. As you complete the Exit Counseling, pay special attention to:

  • Loan consolidation
  • Loan deferment
  • Payment options (standard repayment, extended repayment, graduated repayment, and income contingent repayment)
  • Loan forbearance

How long will the Exit Counseling take?

Exit Counseling will take 20-30 minutes to complete. You will need your Department of Education PIN and the session will also ask you to select your school: Northeast Wisconsin Technical College (School Code: 005301)

Do I need to let NWTC know when I have completed the Exit Counseling?

You DO NOT need to notify us once you have completed the Exit Counseling. Financial Aid will receive electronic confirmation once you complete your Exit Counseling.

When should I complete the Exit Counseling?

If you are graduating, you should complete the Exit Counseling within thirty (30) days prior to your graduation date. If you are no longer attending or have dropped below half-time attendance, you should complete the Exit Counseling within thirty (30) days from the last date of at least half-time attendance.

Do I need to complete Exit Counseling if I am going on to another school or enrolling in a new degree program?

Yes, you should complete Exit Counseling even if you are planning to continue your education. The Exit Counseling will assist you in knowing your rights and regulations about your current loan(s) grace period and repayment period.

Remember: Do not hesitate to contact the Direct Loan Servicer (, 1-800-848-0979) and/or your Servicer/Lender/Guaranty Agency if you have questions about repaying your loans. You are responsible for making payments on your student loans even if you do not receive a payment booklet or billing notice.

Direct Loan Exit Counseling Session

If you received a loan you must complete a Loan Exit Counseling Session if you drop below half-time enrollment, withdraw, or graduate.

For your convenience, the Loan Exit Session is available at Loan Exit Counseling. You may access this session anytime, anywhere.

Once you have completed the online Exit Loan Counseling Session, the information will be sent via e-mail to the Financial Aid Office. This information will be forwarded to your Guarantee Agency as per Federal Regulations. 


Loan Repayment 

When do I start paying back my student loans?

The repayment will begin Six months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment for a Federal Stafford Loan (Direct Loan ProgramSM or Federal Family Education Loan (FFELSM) Program). 

How much time do I have to repay my student loans?

Depending on the types of loans you have and repayment plan you choose, you have from 10 to 25 years to repay your loans. When it comes time to repay, you can pick a repayment plan that’s best suited to your financial situation.  Repayment choices can be viewed on

How much will I have to repay each month?

Your monthly repayment amount will depend on the type of loan you have, size of your debt, the length of your repayment period, and the repayment plan you choose. You may estimate your payment by using the Department of Education Repayment Calculators.

How can I see all my loans?

You may view all your loans on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). The site provides you with the types of loans and amounts due.

How do I make or set up my monthly payments?

Your monthly payments can be withdrawn from your bank account by setting up an account on
You may also mail in you payment, however, please be aware of the address that the payment has to be mailed out to. You may view the addresses of your multiple lenders on National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). 


What if I don't receive a billing statement? 
  • You must make payments on your loan even if you don't receive a bill or repayment notice.
  • Billing statements might be sent to you as a convenience. You're obligated to make payments even if you don't receive any reminders.
  • You must also make monthly payments in the full amount as required by your repayment plan. Partial payments do not fulfill your obligations to repay your student loan on time.


 Loan Deferment or Forbearance can be found on Student Aid on the Web.


Additional repayment loan information can be found on Student Aid on the Web.